Monday, June 1, 2009

A Bridge Over Troubled Water

Rolling Stone Rank: 51

Hey, another album I love. Solid. I think for me this one falls into my own top ten. The three singles alone (Cecilia, BOTW, and The Boxer) make it one of my favorite albums, and the other songs only help to complete the perfect sound on this final album between this feuding duo.

Similar to other albums I listened to on the walk from the high school to the library, I established a pretty deep bond with these songs. Which means I'm probably not the most objective person to rate this. Oh yeah, and a former girlfriend introduced me to Mr. Simon and his songwriting, so again more emotional baggage to add to these songs.

Anyway, I guess the song that needs the most addressing is Bridge Over Troubled Water. A really great song, yes, and another one of those things in music history that could have completely gone the other way. Why do we love this song? One, the lyrics are touching and two, Art Garfunkel is a ballin' tenor. But, in doing the research on this post, I learned that Art never wanted to sing the song at all. Paul insisted that Art sing it. And who knows where we would be without. Who knows if Art would have thought he could make it on his own. Who knows if Paul would have resented Art for singing his song.



So what do you think? Really. Anything would be nice. Hey, ummm sports, how about that? Or, hey, it's the first day of june how crazy is that? Ok, well have a great night out, later

p.s. this is hilarious.

Stats
Album: Bridge Over Troubled Water
Artist: Simon and Garfunkel
Year: 1970
My Favorite Song: Cecilia
Next Up: The Reverend Al Green

No comments: