Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Birth of Soul: The Complete Atlantic R&B

Rolling Stone Rank: 53

Well, It's been awhile since I listened to this collection. Surprise, surprise, I listened to this whole thing about the same time I saw "Ray". It's a great collection, any of that early stuff is a wonderful look into the beginning of the soul movement. I love the idea that artists trained on such pure and holy music, would use it to create this new style dripping with sexual tension and immoral motives. And Ray was a master at it, he could take any song to that double entendre place that we all think about in the back of our mind. Wow, I just realized I wrote "wonderful look" two sentences ago. Must be too early to actually think about what I'm typing.

Have a great Saturday, stay dry

Stats
Album: The Birth of Soul: The Complete Atlantic R&B
Artist: Ray Charles
Year: 1991
My Favorite Song: Mess Around
Next Up: Jimi

No comments: