Wednesday, July 1, 2009

After the Gold Rush

Rolling Stone Rank: 71

I must say before I start, I was soooo excited to see a comment on this site. It's been FOREVER since I saw one of those. Anaaand it was spam. So shame on you spammer for ruining what was a pretty good day. Anyway"

Awesome album, it's writing like this that made Neil Young Neil Young. You can feel the intimate nature of these songs (recorded in his basement), not to mention the intimate subject matter that he dealt with. Two or three of the ballads are absolutely heartbreaking, and and his high nasal tone is the perfect timbre to bring it across.

Who in my generation can I compare to Neil Young? Well, my first thought was Dashboard Confessional. But, after listening to Neil a bit longer it hit me. Daniel Johnson. I've included videos at the end here. Let me know what you think...

Here's Neil:


And Here's Daniel:



Stats

Album: After the Gold Rush
Artist: Neil Young
Year: 1970
My Favorite Song: Only Love Can Break Your Heart
Next Up: Prince!

No comments: