Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Talking Book

Rolling Stone Rank: 90

Fantastic. These Wonder albums just keep getting better and better. I'm pretty sure that I can say Stevie Wonder has been the best surprise I've gotten while listening to these albums. His soul and R&B sound is fantastic. Not being a listening to funk and R&B before this list, my eyes have been opened to a new sound. And yeah, it makes me appreciate rap a bit more.
Stevie has this unique ability to make his depressing, self-deprecating songs, have this twinge of hope and glory around the edge. And he makes his happy songs fell just a little down and dirty. Even though Superstition is the breakout hit from this album, it actually is a little bit out of place from the rest of the album. It's in the perfect spot though, 6th song out 10. Just when he's set a mood, in comes Superstition to break it up and set up the the drive towards the fantastic finisher, I Believe.

Stats
Album: Talking Book
Artist: Stevie Wonder
Year: 1972
My Favorite Song: Blame it On the Sun
Next Up: Elton John

No comments: