Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Please Please Me

Rolling Stone Rank: 39

So listen, I know I'm not the best person to review this album. Because, if you know me, you know that I love The Beatles. I loved this album. I love the energy they bring, I love the harmonies they sing (unintentional rhyme). And yes, I know the arguments against this band, against this album. I know that they didn't invent this style, I know that they were copying the sounds they heard from black southern artists. To that I say, they did it better. Maybe it's because I feel like I know them so well, more on that in a second, that I just can't help but smile through the entirety of the album.

In the RS review of this album, they bring up a great point. The fact that The Beatles finished this album in 10 hours. What a great contrast between this first release and their later releases. Albums like Revolver and Let It Be, which were recorded over much longer periods and made exclusively for the studio. These songs jump off the album, and puts you right in the front row of the concert. Is there anything more passionate that John screaming through the end of Twist and Shout. Sure, we remember it from Ferris Bueller, but back in the day is was an emotional ride that was so different from earlier versions of the song.

The last thing I want to talk about hear was something I read about recently. I've mentioned here before about the outstanding work that Daniel Levitin has done. Well, he really nails it on the head when talking about the lyrical styles of Lennon/McCartney. He observed that in their early songs, they use the first person quite a bit. This entire album is basically sung from the lead singer to the audience. So, instead of "last night he said those words to his girl" we get: "Last night I said these words to my girl". So much more powerful, MUCH more of personal connection made between the singer and audience. Now, the obvious argument to this is: They were kids, it wasn't sophistication. It was the only thing they knew. They wrote love songs about themselves because when you're young, you focus on these romantic notions...etc... Well, I won't argue with that, but I will say it worked and it may be one of the reasons why The Beatles rose to such heights.

Take a Listen, Take Some Time, Post your thoughts

Stats
Album: Please Please Me
Artist: The Beatles
Year: 1963
My Favorite Song: Please Please Me (So lame, right?)
Next Up: Love


Oh hey, check this out, who doesn't love this scene?

No comments: