Friday, May 29, 2009

A Love Supreme

Rolling Stone Rank: 47

A fantastical, spiritual album. Please please please, listen to it from beginning to end, its the perfect album. It's what I was thinking of when i originally described how a perfect album should be. The thing about talking about jazz, is that I never feel qualified to criticize it. It's probably because many people have told me how much I don't understand about it. So, I'll be vague and say, it's great. What I can talk about it Elvin Jones. He's the drummer on the album, and he is masterful. Later in his career, he moved towards a poly rhythmic style, but this is a great example of his lyrical style. It's a great example of thinking of the drums as a complete musical instrument, and not just as the timekeeper, but as an integral part of the combo.

Stats
Album: A Love Supreme
Artist: John Coltrane
Year: 1967
My Favorite Song: Part 3:Pursuance
Next Up: Public Enemy

No comments: