Thursday, May 14, 2009

Dark Side of the Moon

Rolling Stone Rank: 43

A conundrum of an album really. I know you know of it, I know you probably have heard some songs. Before Thriller, this was the best selling album of all time. Think about that. The highest selling album of all time. It's just crazy, and it doesn't make sense.

You know where this album should be ranked? 43. It's a pretty good, it's not super. I'm not sure it holds up against the test of time. A lot of the techniques, while innovative, and while I appreciate it, I'm not sure if you all out there think of it. Stuff like tape looping, which nowadays you can do on garageband, is actually a pretty impressive thing with those old analog tapes. But, y'know, music that relies on (I don't want to say gimmicks, but something similar to that) those techniques.

And, think about this. Do you know how many weeks this album spent at #1 in the US? One. One freaking week! And it became the highest selling album of ALL TIME. It's just crazy, right?

So tell me why this album sold so much? The band didn't particularly love the album, it didn't stay at the top of the charts...It just stuck around. Boom, 6.3 million albums sold.

Take a Listen, Take Some Time, Post your thoughts

Stats
Album: The Dark Side of the Moon
Artist: Pink Floyd
Year: 1973
My Favorite Song: Brain Damage
Next Up: Patti Smith

No comments: