Sunday, May 17, 2009

Horses

Rolling Stone Rank: 44

Up late again, so I'm gonna knock this one out. Loved the album, good music and a passionate singer. The songs and Patti really reflects the sound coming out of the New York scene in that era. It brought me back, and I know what you're thinking. Brian, you weren't alive in the mid-seventies. And yes, you would be correct. What I mean to say is that it brings me back to high school. I did a research project, or a paper or something I don't really remember what it was that's not the point, on Punk Music. Anyways, I spent a great deal of time listening to new wave and punk music from that time, and especially from the groups in New York during that time. Blondie, The Talking Heads, Television, etc. I didn't listen to this album then, which is weird because it's the 44th best album of all time, but y'know high school rebellion and such...

Anyway, the point of that was to say that this album sounded familiar to me, while still being completely new and interesting. When Patti talks, she sounds like David Bryne, and when she sings, it sounds like Deborah Harry. Yet even with these similarities she has her own style, and definitely a much more poetic view to music than the other artists from that period.

Other than her version of Gloria, the other songs are pretty eccentric. Nice to listen to, really original. I listen to it on the way to and from the driving range. Can't say the album really inspired any angst, but it did rock pretty hard, which is saying something because golf takes a lot out of my spirit.

One final thought before I go to bed, btw this has nothing to do with the album. I find it frustrating when television shows don't carry through with their storylines. And yes I know that I'm only really noticing this because I'm a lame-o and watch tv shows on dvd on a saturday night at home. I'll spare you the details about the show, mostly to save what little face I have left from this paragraph. So, without saying the name of the show, let me tell the situation that has me perplexed. So one of the storylines is about this 16 year old girl and her boyfriend. Blah blah blah they are in love, or most of the season they've been getting along fine. So for her birthday, or whatever I don't remember the actual occasion, he made her a car. Yes, that's right. He's a mechanic, or his dad was so somehow he was able to build her a car. A goddamn car. Two episodes later, a new male character is introduced and now we're beginning to see that she'll go with the new guy soon. And blah blah blah they're moving right along, la la la

Except that the old guy BUILT HER A CAR!

Doesn't that mean anything? I mean, a car! How does that not upset anyone? How did a producer not notice this, or care?

ok, thanks for that. And if anybody actually read this, the show is Gilmore Girls, let the mockery commence...

Take a Listen, Take Some Time, Post your thoughts

Stats
Album: Horses
Artist: Patti Smith
Year: 1975
My Favorite Song: It's late so I bet you're expecting me to say...anyways it was Break It Up
Next Up: The Band again, kinda psyched for another one. The first one kicked ass...

No comments: