Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Velvet Underground and Nico

Rolling Stone Rank: 13

This album was really great to listen to from front to back. I had never done that with this album, up until today, but I really really enjoyed it.

Being the snooty music major that I am, I was able to identify many of the early avant-garde techniques that they were using (i.e. lots of drones, minimalist rhythms etc.). Then I went and researched that album (and The Velvet Underground) a little bit. And it made me even more impressed. Let's get away from the Andy Warhol mystique for a bit, and just talk about the band:

Their sound is so unique and innovative, really a breath of fresh air amongst the....well wait a second. Actually 1967 was a pretty innovative year in itself. The Beatles, The Byrds, Jimi Hendrix, hell even Buffalo Springfield came out in '67. So taking that into account, I don't I need to run with the whole "this was ahead of its time" review. Since I wasn't alive back then and I can't know for sure, maybe it wasn't.

But this album stands on its own. Even without taking into consideration its place in history, it s a great album. Lou Reed's lyrics shine through the cacophony of sound. The velvet (could I have picked a better word, yes. But it's 1:15am) sound of Nico was the perfect counterpoint to Reed's harsh lyrics and dry voice. The guitar is distinct and original, although Sterling Morrison pulls off the blues pretty well in Run Run Run. At first I was annoyed with the "drums"( I call them that because Maureen Tucker, played mostly on the toms and the bass drum on its side with mallets. Not exactly the loud and fast punk style I was expecting) on this album. But that only lasted one or two songs, and after that I was able to see how her playing tied in with the mood the rest of the band was setting for Reed.

And Lastly back to Andy Warhol. Now yes, it is a fair argument that Warhol used his exhibitions to push the Velvets onto the world, and maybe if they didn't have the Warhol celebrity fame they may have faded away like so many other did. And that is true to some extent, but I think when you say that, you really discount the effect that Andy had on this album. No not just the cover design. But also his insistence that Nico (Christa Päffgen) sing with band on a few tunes. i think that her sound really levels off the rest of the album, and make the tracks fit together as whole. Also, i believe, his role of producer influenced the overall sound of the album greatly. While there are many accounts that Warhol actually did nothing, there are some who say that doing nothing and allowing the band to make their own choices was doing something after all. Either way, I like the result.

Take some time, take a listen, post your thoughts.


Stats:
Album: The Velvet Underground and Nico
Artist: The Velvet Underground
Year: 1967
My Favorite Song: Heroin
Tomorrow: More Beatles!

No comments: