Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Blood on the Tracks

Rolling Stone Rank: 16

Just a thought on exercise here. Being one that never really does, I realize people talk about "feeling the burn", which I can definitely attest to feeling. But then there are people who relish the "good" feeling you get from pushing your body "to the limit". And while I'll grant that I'm not an athlete, I'm not sure I buy that. I mean, yeah there is a moment where you're thinking

All-right, this feels great! It's beautiful outside, the good music is rolling, screw it let's do a second lap around the lake..

but literally seconds later this thought emerges:

God, oh god. Why? My legs are in pain, yes it is nice, and yes the music is good, but this doesn't feel good at all. This feels terrible, fuckin' Cubs....

Oh, like you're surprised I use my hatred for the Cubs as motivation. OK, moving on to good music...

Blood on the Tracks was beautiful, a return to what made Dylan great, and far away from what made him stereotypical and shallow. All acoustic, and with a return to his story-telling nature, Dylan croons mostly about heart-ache and, well, pain.

And of course, this is what draws us in as listeners, or at least what makes me like and appreciate an album. When I can hear the passion in a singers voice I get a sense for the passion that they have for the music. How can I as a fan be expected to be gung-ho for an artists, if they don't seem to be? Well, Dylan returned to this, along with keeping the blues as a large part of his writing.

I'll end with a quote I found on wikipedia (Brian doing some extensive research for this post.....sigh)

Told of the album's lasting popularity, Dylan was later to say (in a radio interview by Mary Travers): "A lot of people tell me they enjoy that album. It's hard for me to relate to that. I mean, it, you know, people enjoying the type of pain, you know?"

I think this is something many artists feel about their music. As if fans are laughing with delight at the terrible misfortunes, and the personal anguish. But we all know this is not what makes music popular among fans, it is that fans relate and identify with the pain that the artists is going through, and the passion that Dylan and others sing with only forms a stronger bond with the listeners.

Take some time, take a listen, post your thoughts.


Stats:
Album: Blood on the Tracks
Artist: Bob Dylan
Year: 1975
My Favorite Song: If You See Her, Say Hello
Tomorrow: Nirvana!

I am only posting this video, because Germany advanced in Euro 2008 today. Please to enjoy:

No comments: