Sunday, June 1, 2008

Kind Of Blue

Rolling Stone Rank: 12

Just Incredible. I defy anyone to listen this album and have bad thoughts. It is the essence of cool, and the turning of point of jazz in the 1950s.

If you don't know, I listen to this albums while riding my bike. And let me tell you, this was the best bike ride I've had, now that may have something to do with the weather, but I think a lot of it had to do with the music.

I like Rolling Stone's review of this a lot, so I think it's silly to regurgitate some of the stuff they've written. Because for me to say it sounds amateur.

Anyway, the sound it so laid back, and well cool. Miles' sound is so mellow, but at the same time conveying a wide range of emotions. And of course credit needs to be given to the various other artists playing on this album: Paul Chambers, Jimmy Cobb, Bill Evans, Coltrane and Adderley. And while they all played great, it while Miles' vision that really set the tone (ummm pun intended) for the record.

Take some time, take a listen, post your thoughts.

Stats:
Album: Kind of Blue
Artist: Miles Davis
Year: 1959
My Favorite Song: Freddie Freeloader

No comments: