Sunday, November 29, 2009

Marquee Moon

Rolling Stone Rank: 128

Glad that The Talking Heads came before them. The Talking Heads were the evolution three years later of what Television introduced in 1977. Well, television and the rest of the NYC punk movement, which was of course the outreach of the English punk movement. Not sure what I mean by that, I'm not really saying that their music wasn't validated, or that they didn't mean what they were saying. But, what were they saying? The British movement rose out of the complete and utter poverty that the peasant were living in. Were the New York punks just angry because they were young? And again, not there's anything wrong with that. not that they didn't feel the full passion they were singing and playing, but will it last the test of time? Interesting thoughts, right? Well, to me they are. It brings about that great question, is music more meaningful if you know the background behind it? I would say...maybe. You could argue it either way. Since music, like most art, is meant to play upon the emotions an individual feels, it doesn't really matter why the artist created it.

I guess it shows what kind of person I am. I want to get the interpretation right, whatever that means. I want to know what the artist intended for it, and maybe it makes me respect their work just a little bit more than artists who just don't give a damn. hmmmm, and that just brings me back to punk again. Man, I don't sound like the 16 year old who listened to nothing buy Fat WreckChords through junior year...

Oh hey, take a listen to this record, let me know how you feel about the angst...

Stats

Album: Marquee Moon

Artist: Television
Year: 1977
My Favorite Song: Friction
Next Up: Hank Williams, oh boy

No comments: