Wednesday, August 12, 2009

There's a Riot Goin' On

Rolling Stone Rank: 99

I'm actually pretty nervous about getting to 100. It's hard for me to believe that I'm actually going to finish this first 100. To be honest, I never thought I would get through these. And when I think about it, these albums have been the constant in my life this past year. But more on that when i actually get through 'em.

This is a great groove album. There's a lot of passion in the lyrics and in the music, but what Sly and family do best is laying down that funky R&B. Not only are there some great songs on here, there's a few really good instrumental jams. It's a sound that defined the decade they were written in, and locked Sly and family in with the heart of many music fans.

Interesting fact about the title of the album. The record was originally going to be titled Africa Talks To You, but after the release of Marvin Gaye's What's Going On? the album was retitled There's a Riot Goin' On. The album was billed, and written as a response to Marvin's question.

Stats
Album: There's a Riot Goin' On
Artist: Sly and Family Stone
Year: 1971
My Favorite Song: Family Affair
Next Up: Perfect way to end the top 100- Old Blue Eyes

No comments: