Sunday, August 23, 2009

In The Wee Small Hours

Rolling Stone Rank: 100

Man was this a great album. From beginning to end, this album stays with it's theme. A collection of melancholy anthems, said to be sung by Frank after his breakup from Ava Gardner. But, y'know have you seen Ava Gardner? She's definitely worth an album. Well, Mr. Sinatra, I feel for ya. Actually when you think about the background behind their relationship, you might not be all that empathetic towards the power couple. Ava had come from two previous marriages, and Frank left his famous wife Nancy for their 6 year relationship. I understand that Hollywood relationships are different from normal ones, but it's always a little bit harder to swallow for me. On the other hand, neither married again, so maybe their love was a bit more romantic

Musically, there's a lot to like, a lot to enjoy on this album. If I had a complaint, it would be that there's a bit too much Celeste. It's not my favorite instrument, and I like percussion.

Anyway, I loved it and 100 albums. Too many compilations, but I doubt I could have put together a better list. Could you?

Stats
Album: In The Wee Small Hours
Artist: Frank Sinatra
Year: 1955
My Favorite Song: Glad to Be Unhappy
Next Up: The Next 100

No comments: